For Students & Parents
- Learn about all the different course types and subjects and discover new options
- Learn, at a glance, what courses are offered where (according to government data)
- See what other people like you have done with their lives
- Reflect on your academic ability, interests & life goals; apply them to your sixth form choices
- Free to use
For Schools & Colleges
- Meet your statutory duty to provide impartial advice and demonstrate this to Ofsted
- Create analytics and reports so that you can use Skills Route insights to inform your 1:1 support and careers curriculum
- Equip teachers to have informed 1:1 conversations with students
- Show students the range of education and training options through a free post-16 portal and careers guidance tool
- Incentivise hard work by showing the implication of grades on future life goals
About Skills Route
Each year 150,000 AS level exams are failed and 40,000 students drop out of school. Outcomes for many young people after GCSEs are stark. Perhaps they picked the wrong course or institution or maybe they didn't think carefully enough about their decision.
We've created Skills Route for you, the young people making important decisions at the age of 14 to 16. We want Skills Route to help you explore and compare before you decide. Skills Route is the first post-16 portal to bring together all the options for young people side by side. Our innovative technology helps you understand the options, consider the implications of your actions and explore your future career path.
We take the data that you input and provide you with suggestions based on how your ability, interests and ambitions match with the options that are available. We have created tools that put you in the driving seat so that you can truly consider all the options and see the impact of the choices that you make. And because it uses comprehensive, location-based data you can feel confident that you're making an informed decision.
An award winning platform. Our cutting edge approach to careers guidance has already won Skills Route the Nesta/Open Data Institute Education Open Data Challenge and the Nominet Trust Social Tech seed award. Skills Route is being developed by MIME Consulting, education data specialists.
Skills Route is the first of its kind... a perfect example of how widely available but often complex information can be better utilised and applied to everyday life.
— Ed Parkes, Senior Programme Manager, Nesta
Skills Route was created by MIME Consulting, a team of specialists in education data and technology. We're passionate about providing high quality, accessible information to improve the life chances of all young people.
Steve founded MIME Consulting and Skills Route
Priority: Interpreting data to support schools and transform the lives of young people.
Phil is chief Skills Route techie
Priority: Involved from the start, Phil uses technical wizardry and deep data knowledge to make the plan become a reality.
Briony is Skills Route organiser and facilitator
Priority: Helping spread awareness, build understanding and translate user experience into improved functionality.
Tom is a self confessed puzzle fan
Priority: Creatively solving problems and writing algorithms to make Skills Route logical and user friendly.
Victor is our web developer
Priority: Using cutting edge technology and techniques to create the application itself.
Louise makes raw data make sense
Priority: Helping explain and bring to life the myriad of options available to young people.
Get in Touch
Have a question? Want to know how Skills Route can help you or your organisation achieve its goals? We're here to help.